Friday, September 4, 2009

Another day of grape picking, and forgetting sunscreen, but at least I brought my hat today. Picked Grenache from 7 until 2:30, now I’m sitting by the pool. Not much new to report for today. I did determine that sneakers are much more comfortable for picking grapes than boots, although new sneakers will not look so new at the end of the day. Nearly all of the grapes are picked now, there is just one small block left I’m told. It must be a much warmer pocket here than at Mas Carlot; my email from Nathalie a few days ago informed me that they’ve just started bringing in the Viognier, and the rest of the grapes are still on the vine. I did successfully carry on what I hope was a fairly coherent conversation with Eve’s father Luc, and mother Lucienne, and her sister Laure last night at dinner without Eve’s translation assistance. I still need them to speak fairly slowly, it sometimes takes me a minute to find the word I’m looking for, and I’m sure I’m mis-conjugating my verbs half the time, but I think I’m communicating reasonably well. I’m guessing Bobby must have had a rough time while he was here, speaking as little French as he does. I’m also finding it hard to keep English, French, and Spanish separate in my head; I keep talking to Frankie in French, and even as I’m typing this I keep misspelling English words. I think that’s about it, here are some photos from the last few days.




No comments: