Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I did pumpovers all by myself!

Eve and Luc went to an organic farming expo, so it was just me and Fred and Arnaud in the winery today, and I was in charge of making sure the pumpovers got done, and taking the measurements on the still-fermenting wine. Not that it's all that complicated, but I still did it all by myself. It seems that a small rip has developed in the press that's preventing it from pressing as hard as it should be able to, so there's some uncertainty as to whether or not we're going to be able to de-cuve the last fermenter of Cabernet tomorrow or not. There's also speculation as to whether I will be the one doing the de-cuve-ing. Obviously I'm here to learn, and to do any work I'm asked to do, however climbing inside a fermenter and shoveling out grape must isn't necessarily something I'm all about. It's kind of like the trash compactor on the Death Star in there. Today I also learned exactly why it's vital to push most of the must through the big hose after emptying each fermenter by running water through it, because if you leave the hose full of grape must in the sun, the must will dry out and create plugs, and you'll fry your pump trying to push them through. Oh, and also, the US should totally start having nap time in the middle of the work day. And a 9a.m. rosé and baguette break.

No comments: