Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My hands are purple.

So, we did a little pressing yesterday, but I wasn't that involved in the process. Today I got to hold the giant hose, which is not a sexual thing at all, so clean your minds. Yeah, like I'm one to talk, today at one point, while I was handling the big hose, Eve asked me in French if it was getting hard yet (meaning the handling of the hose, because it's pretty goddamn heavy when it's full of grape must) and it was really only the fact that I was pretty sure the joke wouldn't translate that kept me from saying 'that's what she said'.
Anyway, the way it works is, there's a big metal box with an auger in the bottom. The juice is drained from the cuve, then the door at the bottom is opened and you start pulling all the must out with a pitchfork. At the beginning, the tank is full up above the door, but eventually you get enough stuff out that a person can get in through the door (not me fortunately), then somebody goes inside and keeps shoveling. Meanwhile, the metal thing with the auger in the bottom is catching all the must and pushing it through a big pipe, about 4 inches in diameter, which leads to the press. I'm quite certain that the word 'muck' was invented to describe something just like grape must. It's slimy and messy and it gets everywhere, especially when it's coming out of the big hose at unpredictable intervals. What happens is, air pockets form in the pipe, so you'll get big sections of must, then when the air comes it forces the last of the must out like an air gun, so it explodes all over. Also, there's just enough room in the press for all the must in the fermenter, so when the press starts to get full you have to start shoving the must all around to make as much room as possible, which is why my hands are purple.
So, most of the Grenache is pressed, the Syrah is almost entirely de-cuved and pressed, and the Cabernet will be done tomorrow or Thursday. The Sans Soufre Cuvee is still fermenting, as is one fermenter of Grenache, and the vin de table. That's about it, and I need a shower before dinner.

No comments: